An official website of the United States government

Acceptable Supporting Documents


All documents submitted in support of an application must be originals (unless otherwise advised), and will be returned to the applicant. We are unable to accept photocopies or copies certified by a Justice of the Peace or Notary Public. Official written translations are required for documents issued in languages other than English.

Records of births, deaths and marriages that occurred in New Zealand are maintained by the Department of Internal Affairs, while details of U.S. birth, death or marriage records are maintained by the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS).

Examples of acceptable evidence are offered below.

Evidence: U.S. Citizenship

  • U. S. birth certificate (original)
  • U.S. passport
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240)
  • Certification of Birth (Form DS-1350 or FS-545)
  • Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship

Evidence of Identity

Government issued identity documents must contain current name, signature and a photograph.

  • U.S. or foreign passport (not mutilated, damaged or altered)
  • Driver’s license
  • Government issued ID card
  • Military ID card

Applicants over the age of 16 who do not have current photographic identity can have a parent identify their child by co-signing their application. The parent will need to present current photographic identity along with the child’s birth certificate naming them as a parent.

Progressive photographs may be required if the image/signature have changed since the document was issued.

Evidence of Name Change

Name change documentation must contain both the original name and the name being changed to. Current evidence of identity bearing the applicant’s new name should also be presented (where available).

  • Marriage certificate
  • Court order
  • Divorce decree
  • Change of Name Certificate
  • Adoption decree

Evidence of Marriage

Registered marriage certificate. Marriage certificates in New Zealand are registered by the Department of Internal Affairs, and differ to celebrant-issued marriage certificates. The U.S. Consulate General does not accept marriage certificates issued by the celebrant.

Evidence of Termination of Marriage

  • Divorce decree
  • Death certificate

Parental Consent Documentation

U.S. regulations require the consent of both parents/legal guardians for the issuance of a U.S. passport to a minor child. The minor child as the applicant must be present. To meet these regulations, the following documents are required.

  • Evidence of the child’s birth, listing the parents of the child
    • Full birth certificate
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240)
    • Certification of Birth Abroad (DS-1350)
    • Adoption decree
    • Court order establishing guardianship
  • The parents’ current photographic identification.

If only one parent submits the application for a minor child, one of the following documents are required to either express the consent of the absent parent or provide justification for the issuance of the passport without their consent:

  • completed and notarized Form DS-3053;
  • court adjudicated custody order;
  • judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent; or,
  • death certificate of non-applying parent.