An official website of the United States government

Citizenship Services
October 18, 2023


The U.S. Embassy in Apia provides limited U.S. consular services in Samoa. The consular section of the U.S. Embassy in Apia is under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Consulate in Auckland, NZ. Some of the links provided in this site will revert to the relevant information on the U.S Consulate in Auckland’s U.S. citizen passport page.

Applications for citizenship services are by appointment only. Please be sure to schedule an appointment either by emailing ApiaConsular@state.gov or calling our Consular section at 685-21631 extn 2222.

Apply for Citizenship

Children born abroad to U.S. citizen parent(s) may have a claim to U.S. citizenship. The following will assist in determining if a child has a claim, and the requirements to register them as a U.S. citizen born abroad:

  • Applicants under the age of 18 should apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA).
    • A Consular Report of Birth (CRBA) is evidence of United States citizenship, issued to a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).
    • CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday, and we recommend that parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth. For applicants older than age 18 who have never been issued a CRBA, please refer to Possible Derivative Claim to U.S. Citizenship.
    • Anyone who has a claim to U.S. citizenship must be in possession of a valid U.S. passport to enter and exit the United States, even if they have citizenship of another country, as well.
  • Applicants over the age of 18 should submit a Derivative Claim to Citizenship.

Other Paths to U.S. Citizenship

If an American citizen does not meet the requirements to transmit their citizenship to a foreign-born child and have a CRBA issued, there may be another path to citizenship for the child. The Child Citizenship Act of 2000 allows certain foreign-born, biological and adopted children of American citizens to acquire American citizenship automatically.

Please note that the acquisition of U.S. citizenship via the Child Citizenship Act is adjudicated and administered by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). Accordingly, we must direct all inquiries for applications under the Child Citizenship Act to the USCIS. There is no office for the USCIS in Samoa, however, their regional office at the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok, Thailand can provide further guidance.

Loss of Nationality

U.S. citizens considering renouncing or relinquishing their U.S. nationality should carefully review and understand the consequences and ramifications of doing so.

If you are interested in information about how to renounce or relinquish your U.S. citizenship in Samoa, please send an email to AucklandCLN@state.gov. You will receive a complete set of instructions and forms by email.

Former U.S. citizens who previously lost their U.S. citizenship may request to have their loss of nationality reconsidered.

Dual Nationality

The U.S. Government recognizes the existence of dual nationality and permits Americans to have other nationalities; however they also recognize the problems which it may cause, and therefore does not encourage it as a matter of policy. Please carefully review the Department of State’s information regarding Dual Nationality.

All U.S. citizens, regardless of the nationality’s they may hold, must maintain their obligations to the United States. Dual nationals traveling to the United States are required to enter and depart the U.S. using their U.S. passport, and are required to file annual tax returns. For further information, please see the information regarding Dual Nationality.