Last updated: 07/26/21
Ask a COVID-19 Question
FOR THE MOST UP-TO-DATE INFORMATION FROM THE CENTERS FOR DISEASE CONTROL AND PREVENTION (CDC), VISIT CORONAVIRUS.GOV
*** Effective January 26, all airline passengers to the United States ages two years and older must provide a negative COVID-19 viral test taken within three calendar days of travel. Alternatively, travelers to the U.S. may provide documentation from a licensed health care provider of having recovered from COVID-19 in the 90 days preceding travel. Check the CDC website for additional information and Frequently Asked Questions.
- Samoa has no confirmed cases of COVID-19 within its borders.
- Public services for both government and business sectors are widely available, all schools and universities are open.
- Gatherings in most places accessible to the public are permitted and the public are required to observe safety rules as advised by the Samoa Ministry of Health and/or the National Emergency Centre – NEOC.
- Are PCR and/or antigen tests available for U.S. citizens in Samoa? Yes
- If so, are test results reliably available within 72 hours? Yes
- U.S. citizens wanting to obtain a COVID-19 test should contact the Samoa Ministry of Health
- Samoa Ministry of Health at +685 68100 or email@example.com. The Scientific Research Organization of Samoa (SROS) can also conduct COVID-19 testing for outbound travelers, arrangements can be made through your local GP.
COVID-19 Vaccine Information:
- Has the government of Samoa approved a COVID-19 vaccine for use? Yes
- Are vaccines available in Samoa for U.S. citizens to receive? Yes
- Which vaccines are available in Samoa? Oxford-AstraZeneca
- For information about vaccination in Samoa, contact the Samoa Ministry of Health and see the Ministry’s recent vaccination update.
- Visit the FDA’s to learn more about FDA-approved vaccines in the United States.
- The United States Government does not plan to provide COVID-19 vaccinations to private U.S. citizens overseas. Please follow host country developments and guidelines for COVID-19 vaccination.
- Visit the Samoa Ministry of Health page for more information and contact details.
Entry and Exit Requirements:
- Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? No
- Please note that most international flights to and from Samoa have been suspended.
- All travelers require advance permission from the Government of Samoa prior to travel. To request permission, contact the nearest Samoan Consulate/Embassy or the Samoa Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade
- Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? Yes
- Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry? Yes
- Information regarding visa extensions for residents and/or tourists: Government of Samoa; Samoa Ministry of Health;
- Is a curfew in place? No
- Are there restrictions on intercity or interstate travel? No
- Public Notice – Restricted Venues and Quarantine Sites July 26, 2021
- Public Notice – Restricted Airport Access July 26, 2021
- Are U.S. citizens required to quarantine? Yes.
- Incoming passengers are to expect managed quarantine isolation at a Government approved facility for a period determined by the Ministry of Health depending on the vaccine type and country of origin.
- Refer to the Samoa Ministry of Health website for home quarantine criteria.
- Are commercial flights operating? No
- Inbound flights with passengers (generally repatriation) are charter flights preapproved by the Samoan Government.
- Air New Zealand runs a weekly service between Auckland and Apia, flight times and schedules can change at short notice.
- Passengers wishing to return to the United States must liaise directly with Air New Zealand for bookings and confirmation.
- Transit passengers to and from the United States should also visit the following websites for more information on traveling to or transiting through New Zealand while its borders are closed.
- i) Transit Passengers to New Zealand
- ii) How to request travel to New Zealand
- iii) NZeTA
- Is public transportation operating? Yes
- Buses and taxi services continue normal operations. There are no bus services on Sundays.
- Ferry services operating as normal between Upolu and Savaii from Monday to Saturday. Only one ferry service on Sunday at 5pm from Savaii to Upolu only.
Fines for Non-Compliance:
- Fines are in place for individuals, businesses and organizations who do not comply with the government’s State of Emergency Orders (SOE) and COVID restrictions. For more information on SOE updates visit the Government of Samoa website.
- U.S. citizens may schedule appointments for the following services, contact us at ApiaConsular@state.gov for more information.
- passport applications
- consular reports of birth abroad
- notarial services
- Currently, routine visa services are suspended until further notice. For emergency visa appointment requests contact our visa section at ApiaConsular@state.gov. For immigrant visa enquiries please contact the email above or the Immigrant Visa section at the U.S. Consulate in Auckland AucklandIV@state.gov .
- Other links: