Updated March 24th, 2020.
Samoan Government Statement:
***EFFECTIVE 21 March 2020*** The Prime Minister Tuilaepa Sailele Malielegaoi has declared a 15-day National State of Emergency, effective 21 March 2020 – 4 April 2020 in response to the novel coronavirus threat. March 22 amendments include: Suspension of flights between Samoa and Australia until further notice and limiting of flights to New Zealand. DETAILS HERE (includes March 24th amendment).
- Samoa has not confirmed cases of COVID-19 within its borders.
Global Level 4 Health Advisory – Do Not Travel:
Travel Advisory: Level 4 – The Department of State advises U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19. In countries where commercial departure options remain available, U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period. U.S. citizens who live abroad should avoid all international travel.. More information on this Global Level Health Advisory on Travel.state.gov.
Entry and Exit Requirements:
- March 18th – UPDATED Travel Advice from the Samoan Government.
- Samoa has instituted entry requirements in response to COVID-19. All travelers must complete a Special Health Declaration form and there is compulsory screening for all travelers at all ports of entry.
- As of February 21st, travelers who have been to or transited through mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Singapore, Japan, South Korea, and Thailand must spend at least 14-days in a country free of COVID-19 and must be tested for the virus before traveling to Samoa.
- As of February 21st, travelers who have been to or transited through Taiwan, Malaysia, Australia, Vietnam, California, France, Germany, Canada, and the United Arab Emirates must undergo a medical examination and a medical clearance within three days of traveling to Samoa.
- Samoa is not allowing cruise ships to dock until further notice. All sea port entries will be screened at a quarantine buoy before being allowed to dock.
- The U.S. – Entry of foreign nationals who were present in the People’s Republic of China, not including the Special Autonomous Regions of Hong Kong and Macau, or the Islamic Republic of Iran, within 14 days prior to their arrival at the port of entry in the United States is suspended, per Presidential Proclamation. If you reside in, have traveled recently to, or intend to travel to China or Iran prior to your planned trip to the United States, we recommend you postpone your visa interview appointment until 14 days subsequent to your departure from the subject country(ies).
- Samoan citizens and residents who arrive in Samoa but are subject to one of the restrictions above are undergoing mandatory 14-day quarantine periods at a designated hospital, but in most cases travelers are returned to the last port.
Presidential Proclamation (March 11th, 2020):
- Suspension of Entry as Immigrants and Nonimmigrants of Certain Additional Persons Who Pose a Risk of Transmitting 2019 Novel Coronavirus.
- Refer frequently to the Samoa Ministry of Health website for the latest entry and exit requirements related to COVID-19 at the link below.
- COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov.
- CDC page on COVID-19.
- state.gov Country Information and Travel Advisory page.
- Samoa Ministry of Health.