Passport FAQs

During business hours telephone the U.S. Embassy: +[685]  21631, 21436, 22696 or 21452; press 0 for the operator or extension 2222 and leave a message. We are located on the 5th floor of the ACC Building, Matafele, Apia Samoa

After Hours: +[685]  7771776 and leave a message, the Duty Officer will return  your call.

Section 215 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1185) requires U.S. citizens to use U.S. passports when entering or leaving the United States unless one of the exceptions listed in Section 53.2 of Title 22 of the Code of Federal Regulations applies. Dual nationals may be required by the other country of which they are citizens to enter and leave that country using its passport, but do not endanger their U.S. citizenship by complying with such a requirement. For more information on Dual Nationality please visit

The U.S. e-passport will have a new look, incorporating additional anti-fraud and security features.

You may download forms from the Department of State travel web site. Passport forms list.

If you can submit an undamaged, 10-year validity passport that was issued no more than 15 years ago use Form DS-82.

All other applicants must use Form DS-11.

It generally takes between 3 – 4 weeks to process a passport application.

Yes, in most cases, we return the old, canceled passport to you. It is a good idea to keep it in a safe place as it is considered proof of your U.S. citizenship.

You may renew your passport any time before or after it expires. Because your passport is required to be valid for at least six (6) months beyond your stay when you travel to certain foreign countries, we suggest you renew your passport between six and twelve months before it expires. If your passport was issued 15 years or more prior to your application for a new passport, additional forms, supporting documents and fees may be required.

You will need to contact the Samoan Immigration Department to transfer your permits into your new passport.

Applicants who need additional pages in their valid passports must obtain a new passport, including paying applicable fees.

It is recommended that the following U.S. citizens maintain valid U.S. passports:

  • Those with family living or traveling abroad
  • Those thinking about a vacation abroad
  • Those with a job that could require international travel

In the event of an emergency involving a family member abroad, a short-notice airfare bargain, or an unexpected business trip, already having a valid U.S. passport will save time, money and stress.

Public Law 106-113, Section 236 requires that U.S. passport applications for children under the age of 16 require both parents’ or legal guardians’ consent.

If one parent appears and signs he/she must submit the second parent’s notarized Statement of Consent Form DS-3053, authorizing passport issuance for the child or submit a notarized, written statement of consent from the non-appearing parent together with parental identification for the appearing parent.

If one or both of your parents was a U.S. citizen when you were born abroad, your parent(s) should have registered your birth at a U.S. embassy or consulate, and, received a Child’s Birth Abroad. This form is acceptable legal proof of birth and U.S. citizenship. The official document will be a FS240 certificate.

If you were born in the U.S. and there is no birth record on file, you will need several different documents to substantiate your citizenship. You will need:

  • A letter from the Vital Statistics office of the state of your birth with your name and the years that were searched for your birth record with no record found.
  • You will need early public records to prove your birth in the U.S.

Applying for a U.S. passport while outside the United States is a different process from applying for a U.S. passport while inside the United States. Although the application forms, supporting documentation, costs and finished products are the same everywhere, each U.S. Embassy and Consulate has different procedures for submitting and processing your final documents. Listed below is information you should know when applying for a U.S. passport while outside the United States.

No, that number is meant to answer questions for passport customers applying in the United States.  If you have questions while you are outside the U.S., your Embassy or Consulate is the best source of information.  Check their website for their best contact information, and contact them via phone or email.

You can apply for a passport card while outside of the United States at the same time you apply for a book, or separately, but the passport card is only valid for travel by land or sea to Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean region.  The passport card cannot be used for air travel.

Yes, these requirements are the same no matter where you apply.  You still need to provide acceptable evidence of U.S. citizenship and identity.

Outside of the U.S. the acceptable methods of payment are different.  The U.S. Embassy is Apia, Samoa only accepts payment in cash either in U.S. dollars or Samoan tala.